Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sometimes The Apple Falls Extremely Far Away From The Tree



The other day we were all getting dinner ready when Nathan said, "Mom? Can I talk to you upstairs after dinner? Just me and you?"

Jared and I looked at each other and shrugged and I said "Sure Buddy."

So after dinner, Nate and I went upstairs to my room. He shut the door and got on the bed and took a deep breath.

I actually started to get a little nervous. I had no clue what he might have to tell me. I mean he's only six and he's with me practically 24/7, so he couldn't have gotten into too much trouble.

He looked at me and said, "Mom. I saw a commercial about the polar bears. The polar bears are going extinct. I don't want to lose the polar bears. So if we go to www.helpapolarbear.com and sign up to send just $18 dollars a month, we can help save the polar bears. Can we help mom? Please?" and then he began to cry. Not just cry but sob!

I was a little flabbergasted. I was glad that he didn't have anything bad to tell me, but I really didn't know what to do with this information. I mean, I'm not made of stone, but animal endangerment is not high on my list of concerns.

So I told him, very gently, "No Nathan. I'm sorry. But we're not going to send $18.00 a month to the polar bears." (Another one of those odd statements that you never think you'd say until you have children.)

Then he began to cry uncontrollably and said "But they are one of Heavenly Father's creations! I don't want to lose one of his creations!" and he hugged me so tight!

My heart melted because of the sweetness of my little man, but I admit, I was also a little amused. It was kinda funny.

Okay, maybe just if you are cynical like me.

We talked it out and I let him cry and when he had composed himself we went back downstairs. Jared looked questioningly at me and I just smiled and shook my head.

I hope this doesn't mean Nate is going to be a vegetarian.

8 comments:

jake and jenni said...

I am actualy laughing so hard right now that I can hardly see thru my tears. I vote vegetarian! (just to make Jared sick) I can picture the entire scenario in my head and I am continuously laughing! Tell Nate if he wants to donate 18 dollarts a month to save chickens he can donate that money to us. thanks!

Diana @ The Rader's Digest said...

Just keep him as innocent as he is and he will be primed just right for Kate. I'm not letting anyone marry Kate that isn't as passionate about polar bears. If he cares enough about the polar bears I know he'll take care of kate!

Annie Taylor said...

LOL...That was so funny. Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie :) said...

How did you keep a straight face? That was the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

Lee Anne said...

Oh my word. You alway's have the best stories. I love it. I was crying myself when I read this, with laughter.

Ginger said...

That sounds like something Gracie would do. Aren't sensitive kids the sweetest?

bigelow family said...

That boy really needs to listen to Glenn Beck!!

He's turned my kids all into great big cynics. One of them was even so upset on inauguration day that he couldn't go to school :-)

I love, love, love your blog! Thanks so much for sharing these great stories and brightening my day!

Dave'sWife@{thediaryofdaveswife} said...

Sorry, I am reading through all your funny stories! HILLARIOUS, I thought for sure he was going to ask about the birds and the bees or something, but Polar Bears??? Who would have thought!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...