I have a lot of memories with this friend. From sleepovers, to trips with each others families, playing sports, class plays, band, choir, legislature.....the list goes on and on.
We also went through the whole friendship spectrum....from best friends who were inseperable to just saying hi to each other in the hall. I know there were times she was disappointed in my decisions, but she never totally walked away from our friendship and I hope she feels that I never walked away from her.
I think I was in third grade when I learned that old saying
"Make new friends, but keep the old
For one is silver, and the other is gold"
I thought it was a dumb saying to be honest....shouldn't ALL your friends be gold????
Well, when I graduated from high school, I left town and to be honest lost touch with most of my friends. I was on to making NEW friends, COLLEGE friends. People I hadn't known my whole life. It was a clean slate.
I think that is a stigma of coming from a small town. When you are 18 you just want to go somewhere where NO ONE knows you or what you did when you were 5, or who your parents are, and if you are supposed to be at the movie theater with a boy...
Probably about nine years ago, this friend got in contact with me again. We lived in different states, but began emailing and sending Christmas cards. Then she moved back and we were able to meet for lunch every so often.
Now that I am at the wise old age of 32, it is nice to be in the company of someone who has known me for 24 years. Yes, there are chunks of our lives that have nothing to do with each other. But, I sat down at lunch today and I felt so relaxed and at home. It was a nice feeling.
So, here's what I've learned today......you know that old saying about old friends being gold????
It's true...
Me, Amy & Becky - Senior Year
4 comments:
This was a great post. I love that familiar feeling with old friends:-) I love the Christmas picture of your boys!
so which one was "your old friend?" in the middle or on the right? if you don't want to name names. :D
i really miss my high-school friends but we've all gone on to lead very different lives and there isn't really a connection anymore. it's sad for me.
It would be itneresting to hear about Amy, that's too bad that know one has heard from her.
I keep in touch a teensy bit with Brittney and Jen Land and a little more with Andrea Finch but that's it. We all want to find out where Cindy is and what she's up to.
Ohhhh, I love that grounding feeling of being wit friends who have known you for years! Send me your address...you were the winner of the cute Cath Bag! Congrats! I know you will love it, I use mine all the time! [auntspicy at gmail.com]
Post a Comment