Saturday, June 11, 2011

Devil's Hole

This weekend I had the chance to go with the Laurels on a hike. This is a hike that the young men have been on several times. Every time Jared would take the priests on this hike, he would come back with some amazing stories. So, while I was excited to have a great spiritual experience, I was very nervous because I am so very afraid of heights.

Let me explain a little bit about Devil's Hole. It isn't a long hike, it took us about an hour. But you start up climbing up a rock face that is seriously straight up. There are parts where you cannot get up by yourself. You have to build a human ladder, and so you are climbing up and over people. There aren't any handholds. My nails are seriously shredded because I was digging into the rock face.

Then, once you get to the top, (and you have pains running up and down your legs because it feels sooooo freaking high!), there are so nice flat areas to rest for a bit.....




Now that rest time is over......the hard part begins. What??? I didn't think that I could handle anything tougher than what we just went through. But you can't go back down the way you came up......

No.

You have to go into the dang stinkin mountain. And the hole you climb down into? Devil's Hole? Yeah, it was about 3 inches wide. 

Okay not really, but that is how it seemed to me. 

From there, you are climbing down through cracks and crevices. Uhm.....did I mention I'm claustrophobic? 

(I know.....I know. Lots of fears......I am a therapists dream......)






Oh....and did I mention that there are parts where there is no floor? So you have to press your back against the rock, and plant your feet on the wall opposite and scoot yourself across a wide open chasm? Or, the floor is so far down that you have to do the same maneuver, only downwards to try and make it to the bottom? Oh! And as an extra treat....sometimes the crevice widens so you are tippy-toeing it and praying you won't lose your grip or slide straight down.


Thankfully, my friend was with me and we made it through together.


So. Do you want to know what I learned from this little adventure?

I learned that I can do hard things. 

I learned that being afraid is not a good reason to not do something. 

I learned that you can get through anything if you have a good friend by your side who makes you laugh to forget about your fears.

I learned that there are people in my life who will literally lay down and let me climb on them to get me where I need to be.

I learned that you need good friends. Because when you slip and slide out of control, someone will be there to catch you.

I learned to trust.

I learned that there are people who have my back.

I learned that I am stronger than I ever dreamed.

I learned to follow the counsel of those who've gone before.

I learned that you can't go backwards, only forwards.

I learned to not look down.....only up.

It was a great experience. I don't know if I'll ever do it again.

Because I may have lots of phobias.....but I'm not crazy people.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...