Monday, March 22, 2010

And A Little Child Shall Lead Them

Most of the time, I really try to be a thoughful person. I like to help others when I can, although there are times when I am extremely selfish and I just want to be left alone. Most of the time though, I am glad when I get over my issues and get out of my house and help someone.

While we were in Utah, I had an experience with Nathan that really touched my heart. We were leaving the Temple grounds and running across the street to the geneology library when I saw a homeless woman asking for money. It was chilly outside and you could tell she was cold. She was crying and she was asking people for their pennies. It was heartbreaking. I patted my pockets but I didn't have any cash, just my debit card. I looked at my mom and she whispered "I only have a debit card!" I told her, "Me too." and so we both just ducked our heads and crossed the street.

Meanwhile, Nathan kept looking back at the lady and saying "Mom, we need to help that lady. Mom! She needs help. We can't just walk by her and not help!"

I explained to him that I didn't have any cash on me and so I couldn't help her.

We went into the geneology library and I thought it was over.

An hour later, we left the library and Nathan asked if we were going to help the lady now. I told him again, that I didn't have any cash on me and that she was probably gone anyway. He just kept repeating over and over that we are supposed to help others. That Jesus asked us to love everyone. That we could not walk by and not help this lady. I hated the look in his eyes. I knew he wasn't judging me, but he did have a look of disappointment. To him, it was simple. We are supposed to help others.

I looked into those beautiful brown eyes. Those eyes that trust me to do the right thing. Those eyes that look up to me. Those eyes that love me unconditionally. I told my mom & Thomas to go on into the museum and I knelt down by Nathan. I said, "Honey. I don't know what I can do to help her. She can't use my debit card." He just smiled and said, "Mom. I have some quarters in my backpack."

He opened his backpack and showed me the roll of quarters that my mom had given the boys earlier that day. He counted out two dollars and said, "Here Mom. I'll give this to you so that you can help that lady." He put his two dollars in my hand and smiled and said, "Let's go."

We crossed the street again and found the lady. I told Nathan since he was the one who was so intent on helping her that he should give her the money. He walked right up to her and handed her his two dollars. She thanked him and he smiled and simply said, "You're welcome." and then he hugged her. She began to cry even harder and she looked at me and said, "You are blessed with a wonderful son."

I couldn't even answer her over the huge lump in my throat. Nathan took my hand and as we crossed the street he looked up at me and smiled and said, "See Mom. It's easy to love others."

I am blessed indeed.

8 comments:

Annell said...

Sweet Nate. That just made me tear up.

Jules said...

That is so neat. Made me cry just reading it I can't imagine the emotion that would come living it.

Wiltbank Family said...

What a sweet kid. Children really are teaching us how to be more Christ like. Thanks for sharing that.

Evon said...

Linda, you did it agian you made me cry! Stop It!!! You are blessed to have a son like Thomas...what a great example he is to all of us.

jake and jenni said...

I am crying.
{thanks alot}
I am just happy that Hallie will have a hubby like that. :)

Diana @ The Rader's Digest said...

Linda, I'm so touched. I mean it, girl... you better save that boy for you know who. (or else I may send her to Arizona in rags and beg for pennies...;)

Ginger said...

So sweet, I needed tears of joy today. Thank you.

Elena Vaughn said...

I CRIED! I! CRIED!...Darn you tears! Good story... you should ba writer Linda1 Seriously! I am not just saying that because you're my sister..you know I would tell you if you stink. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...