Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sometimes.....Just Sometimes.....I Think They Get It.

A couple of weeks ago, Jared and Thomas were on a scouting campout. So Nathan and I were on our own for the wrestling tournament. The wrestling world here in Arizona is pretty small so we usually know most of the boys in Thomas & Nathan's weight group.

At this particular tournament, Nathan's first opponent was a little boy we didn't know. Nathan went out there and beat him pretty easily. As I was watching this boy wrestle and later his interaction with his family, it became apparent that he was special needs. I started talking to his mom and found out that this was also his very first time wrestling ever. He didn't belong to a club, he was just there with his family. His dad has been teaching his some wrestling moves at home and decided that he would learn best by attending a tournament.

We watched him wrestle another boy and afterwards he came and sat by Nathan and started just asking question after question about wrestling. Nathan ended up giving this boy pointers and taking him aside and showing him moves.

Austin wrestled three times and lost each match. He didn't score a single point. But he had the best attitude and you could tell he was just so happy to be there with his dad. Right before his fourth and final match he and Nathan came up with a game plan. When they called his name, Austin turned to Nathan and asked, "Will you be in the coach's corner with my dad?" Nathan assured him he would be there.

Austin went out there and wrestled his little heart out. He scored 4 points. Each time he scored a point we were screaming and yelling and jumping up and down. We had the best time cheering him on. We were being so loud that other people began to wander over to our mat to see what was going on. It felt like a hundred people were watching the match and cheering Austin on.

Austin lost that final match.

But - since there were only five boys in the whole bracket - he placed fifth and earned a medal.

Nathan talked him up and congratulated him and said, "Come on Austin! Let's go get your medal!"

Those two little boys ran off to collect their medals.

When they came back they were both had huge perma-grins on their faces.

Austin gave Nathan a hug and thanked him for being his best friend ever.

Nathan hugged him back and told him he'd see him next week.

As we were walking out to the car, I asked Nate if he felt good because he'd won first place again.

Nate responded, "Yes. But I feel even more proud of Austin and I'm happy that I was able to help him."

I hugged him to me extra tight.

One of the things I love most about Nate is his big heart. I don't know where he learned to be so kind. Heaven knows it isn't from me. I'll give the credit to Jared. He also had a big heart and spends a lot of his time helping others.

Thank goodness my sweetie is such a good man.....

My kids may have a chance after all.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...