Earlier in the week, Thomas and I were hanging out and talking about school. He was letting me know that he is having a rough time in one of his classes because his partner is extremely distracting. She talks all throughout the lecture and pokes him and has now started to try and draw on him. We talked about different ways he could handle it and I asked him if he wanted me to step in.
He said, "No thanks. I'm going to try talking to the teacher first."
So I let it go.
And I was kinda proud of him for being willing to work on his problems himself and not just running to mom and dad to fix everything. He is such a man already.
Yesterday when I picked the boys up from school Thomas got in the car and said,
"Well, today was super embarrassing."
"Why?"
"You know how I told you about my partner who is always bugging me?"
"Yes."
"Well, I spoke to my teacher and he is going to change my partner, but because it was our last day together she decided to pester me even more! I was going crazy! I kept pushing her away and told her to stop, but she just wouldn't. So I lost my temper and I stood up and yelled 'STOP!'..........and I farted really loud at the same time."
"Wow. What happened then?" ( I was biting my cheek because I didn't know if it was safe to laugh yet.)
"Well, it was really quiet in the classroom for a minute and then I started laughing. And I told everyone, 'That's right! If you make me mad I will fart on you!' and everyone in the class started laughing, even the teacher."
"That is really funny Thomas. What made you decide to handle it that way?" (And now I am laughing freely because he was so I figured he wouldn't be mad at me.)
"I just remembered Mom, that you tell me that not everything is so serious. I figured I could get embarrassed and mad and maybe even cry, or I could laugh. I chose to laugh. Because it was really funny."
This is such an amazing thing to me. Thomas is my serious child and he has always taken himself very seriously. He just has a hard time laughing at himself. We've been working on this since he was very young.
I am glad that he is finally learning this lesson. I am glad that he chose to laugh and to see the funny side of this situation. Because as I've told him a million times....
Life is crazy.....you can choose to laugh or to cry. I choose to laugh.
It just makes me feel better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I also choose to laugh!!!
SOOOO much more fun!
Good job Thomas!
Post a Comment