However, during my travels on the week of the 4th of July, I was astonished to find out that I have been fibbing this whole time.
Now yes, I was a tomboy when I was younger and I did have more guy friends than girl friends.
But.
I DID have girl friends.
During my travels I was able to visit with some of my girl friends from my youth and I spent time with family and I realized that I have been blessed with many amazing women all throughout my life.
I realized that number one - my mother, aunts, grandmothers, sisters, sisters-in-law, cousins and nieces have all been there for me and been great examples of how we should treat one another. We don't always see eye to eye, but we love unconditionally and usually try and respect each other's opinions and lifestyles.
One of my aunts in particular is an amazing example of humility and kindness. She has been through some rough things in her life but I have never seen her treat others badly because of things life has thrown her way. She is the best example of a graceful women that I have ever met. Every time that I am with her and I witness her handling crazy situations with grace and strength, I admire her even more.
The second thing that I realized is that I have some girl friends from my growing-up years that were always there for me. For some reason, I had a hard time keeping close friends. I seemed to have a new "best friend" ever other year. But, there have been a few that have stuck by me no matter what and now that we are in our 30's....they are still there for me.
Then there are the girls from high school. These girls were such a great example to me that I wanted to have what they had. These were the girls who introduced me to the church. By their example and their friendship I found something that I really wanted in my life. These girls were with me all the way. Again, there is one friend that stands out among this group. She was with me through all the really bad times of being a teenager. Of fighting with my family, liking boys, wanting to learn more about the church. Her family took me in and taught me and were amazing. I still love their family so much. They are so crazy and so much fun and they made me a part of them, no questions asked, when I was really feeling like I needed a family to back me up. I saw this friend at the 4th of July. She's had some really serious health issues lately and so it was a big deal that she was there and looking good and healthy. And guess what. We picked up right where we left off. And her family.....they once again all made me feel loved and special and that I was still a part of them.
Then there are my girl friends from my "independent" years. After I went off to college and I wanted to totally reinvent myself. These are the girls that helped me be strong enough to stand up for myself. They helped my form some critical strengths that I would need later in life to "cut the apron strings" so to speak. Not that I wanted to walk away from my family, but I did want to get married some day and we all know that we have to make that transition. And these girl friends helped me get to that point. Where I no longer felt the need to apologize or explain my actions.
Then there are the girl friends that I have had since I've been married.
And guess what.....
There are too many to count.
I don't say that to brag. But to recognize that Heavenly Father has blessed me throughout my life with some fabulous women.
The women that I am friends with now teach me so much. They teach me how to be a wife, a mother, a friend, a sister, a teacher.....I could go on and on
(you are probably thinking that I already have....)
But here is the point. Every time I made the comment that I don't like girls because they are catty.....well. It was so disrespectful. Because once I sat down and really thought about it, the women in my life are phenomenal. They are kind. Silly. Compassionate. Loving. They have my back. They lift me when I'm down. They call just to check on me. They aren't perfect. They don't judge. They serve others. They are strong. They cry and let me be weepy too. They make me laugh until my sides hurt. They love me unconditionally.
Do I have a million best friends?
No.
Do I know a lot of remarkable women.
Yes.
Have I met mean catty women? Have I been stabbed in the back or hurt by another girl?
Yes.
But that doesn't mean that ALL women are like that. In fact. Once I thought about it I realized that those girls are the exception and not the norm.
So thank you all you fabulous girls out there for being simply amazing.
♥
1 comment:
I am pretty awesome.
You're not so bad yourself. :)
Post a Comment