Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Keeping A Soft Heart

I know that some people feel that when a tragedy happens, the media tends to shove information down your throat until you are sick of hearing about it. It has always been interesting to me that bad news always gets a bigger audience/reaction than good news.

I agree that sometimes the media over does it. But I also feel that remembering these tragic events is a good thing. When life is good, we as human beings tend to become a little prideful, complacent, selfish....etc. But, when times are hard, more often than not, we become a little softer, more understanding of others, and generally more compassionate.

A couple of weeks ago was the 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks. I know some people didn't want to talk about it. These people expressed their desire to "move on" from this tragedy. While I respect everyone's right to have and express their own opinions, I must say that I don't agree. I think that we need to remember. It is so important, otherwise, how do we stop these things from happening again?

On the weekend of September 11th, there was a Mercy Field display at Tempe Beach Park. I took the boys to it and we spent some time remembering what happened that day 10 years ago. We read some of the stories of the people who were killed and we took a moment to honor them.

It was a nice day but very sobering. I just want my boys to remember that hatred is real, but so is love. That bullies exist, but so do heroes. I hope that we can all remember the bad in order to keep our hearts soft, but that we focus on the good to keep our hearts light and joyful.

Because when all is said and done.....

It is a beautiful world and I am glad to be a part of it.








1 comment:

Ginger said...

I agree 100%! Awesome pictures too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...