About two years ago, (See. I told you I've been thinking about this for a while. By the way. I'm going to keep this vague because 95% of you will figure out who I am talking about and this isn't about her. Really. It's not.)
Okay, about two years ago, Annell and I were visiting with each other when we overheard someone say this, "Arizona is so lame about the 4th of July. I hate being here because no one does ANYTHING to honor the 4th of July. Back East, they have a great celebration. It is so disappointing to be HERE and see that NO ONE is patriotic AT ALL."
I am an Arizona native, born & raised and I took a little offense to that remark. Granted, I think it is a little hard for all these cities in the valley to try and co-ordinate their celebrations. But they try to provide something. But, here's the thing. Once you get outside the city, well then you see the REAL Arizona. (Which I think is because the Valley is filled with people from back East....)
I grew up in Eagar, Arizona. There are many good things about Eagar, but one of the best things is the 4th of July celebrations. It is not a one day event. It is usually a week-long celebration. I absolutely LOVE this time of year in Eagar. There are a million things to do. It feels like the population triples and it probably does just with families coming back and visitors who have discovered what a great time they can have.
Of course, the weather is perfect. The Firemen always host a pancake breakfast & the Boy Scouts host a BBQ dinner. There is the rodeo and the dances that are always fun. EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE wears red, white or blue. They really do. I love to see the street lined with everyone in their patriotic clothes.
The best part is the parade. Our little parade is so awesome. It is filled with all the local families and businesses. The floats are ALL homemade and people dress up in homemade costumes.
There is always a theme for the parade and it is neat to see the different floats that come from that theme. There are always floats from the graduated classes that are celebrating reunions. I love those floats. As a kid, you couldn't wait until it was your turn. Next year it will be my little sister's 10-year reunion & it will be her turn to ride on the float. We are all so excited! I especially love the 40 & 50 year reunion floats. The people riding those floats are so cute.
I also love how people in the community who have died are honored in the parade. The fire department, police department, forest service all ride in the parade. The boys scouts and little league teams all ride in the parade. The High School band and Cheerleaders walk in the parade. The best part, that always make me cry is when the float that carries the veterans comes by and everyone stands and cheers for them. And these little old men have huge grins on their faces, sit up straight and proud and wave back.
Then you get a little break. We usually go down to the river and go crawdad fishing. This is when you get to visit with everyone and be lazy.
The rodeo is going on and people all over are having BBQ's. Then we all get to sit in our front yards and watch the fireworks display from up at the airport. The actual 4th is a magical day.
That is what an Arizona celebration entails. It is the whole community showing up and celebrating their pride in their community and country. So, for those of you who think Arizona is lame and doesn't know how to be patriotic, well I suggest you take a little trip and see the real Arizona, and you will never be prouder to be an American.
5 comments:
Great post, Linda. I share those feelings. We spent four 4ths of July back East, and I never enjoyed one as much as I do in Round Valley. Since I'm so bad at staying in touch . . . I'll see you at the 4th of July BBQ next year.
Trev
Amen Sister.
Oh and btw, I miss you too!
Awesome post!
I have spent the 4th of July in major cities, medium cities, foreign cities in Europe and Asia...and My favorite place is always the smaller american towns. Love this post!
I would have to agree...R.V. has the best 4th ever! It took me awhile to get over not being there for it every year.
Post a Comment