Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Big Dilemma

If you have known me for any length of time, you should possess two unequivocal facts about me.

A) I love to compete and B) I HATE to lose.

I know, I know.

The lectures are going to start..."winning isn't everything", "as long as you have fun, that's what counts."....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Come On!

Admit it. Deep down, you KNOW it's always better when you win.

I am getting better at being a good sport. I won't pout and storm from the room if I lose. I don't throw things at other people or shout swear words. Although, I may mutter them under my breath. (I said I'm getting better.)

But, I am a much nicer person and the world is at peace when I win.

So, now we've come to my big dilemma.

I have entered a Biggest Loser contest with some of my friends from my ward. The contest is going to last 13 weeks. Now, I decided that if I lose 3 pounds a week, which is a do-able and healthy goal, then I would be happy. 3 pounds a week is 39 pounds by the end of the competition.

Today was our first weigh in.

I lost my goal of 3 pounds.

But, I wasn't the weekly winner.

While I was proud that I had reached my goal, I was PISSED that I wasn't the weekly winner.

Seriously.

I was MAD. because....(repeat it with me) I. HATE. TO. LOSE.

I immediately began thinking of things I could do to ensure that I am "Winner of the Week", next week.

But, I keep going back and forth.

Here is my dilemma. Do I push myself harder to make sure that I am the Ultimate Winner, (of the week and the entire contest)? Or do I just stick to my goal and work towards a much more realistic 3 pounds a week?

I really don't know what to do. Because even if I lose 39 pounds, I won't enjoy my accomplishment because...I WASN'T THE WINNER!

UGH!

I know, you are all either moving on to another blog by now, or you are looking up the number to a very good psychiatrist. I don't blame you. I know, it's crazy to be this obsessive about winning. I really can't help it. I have always been a bad loser and probably an even worse winner.

So, let me know your thoughts my dear friends....and just in case....

Write down that number for the shrink.

8 comments:

Diana @ The Rader's Digest said...

some people can just lose more when they start up a regime so don't hit yourself over the head. The race always goes to the steady and true. Look at the Tortoise and the hare, the hare took off and about one the race, however, he wasn't steady. So, don't beat yourself up. You can do it. Have fun...( remember the ultimate goal is to meet your goal of shedding unwanted lbs.

Diana @ The Rader's Digest said...

okay, I can spell..... "won"

Annell said...

You crack me up...Danny just called me...he laughingly told me to look at your blog...don't be surprised if he rubs it in more...I hope you win next week so you can rub it in and do the BACK IT UP DANCE.

Cicily said...

Sabotage everyone else's efforts, that is the only logical thing to do. Or punch them in the gut when they win and they will learn their lesson. On a serious note, are you doing percentage?

Lucinda said...

YOU KILL ME! Whatever! Can I be completely wicked and remind you, what place you were in.... Now get out there and kick his and my butt this week.

Ginger said...

Congrats on reaching your goal!!! Unfortunately, I don't think you've made me feel any better about the hopes I have for my daughter Gracie as she "matures" in her competitive spirit. Keep up the good work. You go girl!!!

La Paloma 13 said...

I figured it out.

A mom and her boys! said...

I say kick some butt.....I would make some "Low-Fat" (not really but tell them they are) treats and take them over to the people you are competing against. They won't believe how good they are, and low-fat, they will gain and you will loose.......geese I think I am watching too much reality TV, how mean and evil, maybe I am the one with the problem, oh no, maybe I need the counselor, oh I already have one, maybe I am right. Oh Whatever, be proud of yourself! I wish I could have lost 3 lbs a week the right way!Be proud of yourself, compete against yourself then you will always be a winner. Can't wait to see you in a month!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...