Saturday, January 9, 2016

How Firm A Foundation

Every year, during the Christmas break from school, our ward does some type of retreat with the youth. 

This year, they went up to Roosevelt Lake and camped out.

They had a good time. They also had a lot of fun activities and some wonderful spiritual lessons.

One thing that I thought was interesting was Nathan's experience. The Sunday the kids got back, quite a few of them got up and bore their testimonies about the things that they experienced and how their testimonies had grown.

Well Nate got up and shared the fact that he was more concerned with having fun with his friends. So he kind of missed out on the spirit that was there at the camp. As the older kids got up and bore their testimonies Nathan stated that he was getting more and more upset with himself. He felt that he missed out on an amazing experience because his heart wasn't in the right place. Then he stated that he would never let that happen again. If he was at a church function he would be there to learn more about our Savior and to feel the spirit more strongly.

I loved to see him learn that lesson. It is so hard to admit when we make a mistake and to take responsibility for them. My little man didn't blame anyone or any circumstances. He recognized that it was his choice to only be concerned with the "fun" part of the trip. He apologized for his attitude and promised to be better. 

I hurt for him because I could tell that it was hard for him to admit these things. But I was also proud of him. What an amazing young man he is becoming.



Isn't this how you transport a bunch of kids?











No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...