Saturday, November 1, 2014

Halloween and A Life Lesson


So this Halloween was the beginning of a new phase of life.

Thomas went to a party at a friend's house.

Nate went trick-or-treating with a good friend in their neighborhood.

So I was all alone with my husband.

It was such a crazy feeling.

And I realized that from the first day you become a parent everyone tells you to watch out for the firsts. They even make calendars and journals to help you record all of these wonderous firsts of your baby's life.

But no one tells you to watch out for the lasts.

Last year was the last time I was able to take my kids trick-or-treating. I didn't know that. Maybe if I did I would have kept them out a little longer. Maybe I wouldn't have said, "No," to just one more house. Maybe I would have taken a bit more time with their costumes. 

I look back and I see all the lasts that I didn't catch. 

I look ahead and see all the lasts that will be coming up.

And I don't really know how to prepare for them.

I guess the lesson is to cherish every day and every moment with your kids. 

I know it's hard when you are in the day to day living and they are whining or complaining or just being human.

But - my boys are 12 and 14. I have about 7 years until they are both out of the house. That freaks me out. Not too long ago I had 18 years until they were going to be gone.

I think I have nothing but lasts coming up.

So - I'd better get back to those boys - because 7 years will be here before I know it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...