A few years ago my mom starting having issues with her lungs. We noticed she was coughing a lot and whenever she would talk or go on a walk her lips and her hands would turn blue. She would end up in the hospital for a couple of weeks each time she had one of these "episodes." Eventually she was put on oxygen and has been on it for a couple of years now.
A million tests have been done to her and no one can give us a reason as to why her lungs were slowly dying. Several theories are out there, but nothing in known for sure.
So after years of this and trying different treatments it was decided that she needed a double lung transplant.
She was placed on the list at the end of September.
She was only on it for three weeks when she was called and told that there were some lungs that were available to her.
On October 24th, my mom underwent her lung transplant surgery. It was 7 hours long and she was in ICU for a week and the hospital for another week.
This has been such a humbling experience.
I have never forgotten that someone lost their life and that another family was grieving while we were celebrating.
It has also weighed heavy on my heart, that a friend from high school lost her young husband from the same disease just one week before my mom received her lungs.
There are so many ups and downs that go along with this surgery. Happiness and sadness. Joy and guilt. Just to name a few.
So many people have been super supportive and have kept my mom in their prayers.
I really appreciate that.
This experience has been like one big game of Mother May I. One baby step forward, one giant step back.
I don't know what the outcome will be. I know my mom has a long road ahead of her. I know it will have some awesome successes and some heartbreaking failures.
But I know I never want to be ungrateful for this gift and I never want to forget the sacrifices and losses of others.
Here's hoping for the best!



No comments:
Post a Comment