But if you have/had a little boy who loved Thomas the Tank Engine, then you totally get it. And BTW, both of my boys LOVED Thomas the Tank Engine so we had movies and books and toys galore.
Anywho....
Back to the point of this post.
Thomas and Nathan have shared a room since Nathan was born.
Well.....since Nathan started sleeping through the night in his crib - but seriously he started doing that at 3 months.
So - for 10 years and 6 months - my boys have shared a room.
Back when we had a teeny tiny house - this arrangement made sense. But we moved to the house we currently live in over 9 years ago. At that point it was just good old-fashioned greed that had me keep them together.
You see I really wanted a guest room and I really really wanted a craft room. So - the boys shared. Plus I figured it was good for them. You know......they'd learn how to share and be good friends....etc....etc.
But when Thomas turned 12 last year, Jared and I discussed letting him have his own room. We waited until March, when the boys were on spring break to actually get it done.
So - we converted my craft room/office into Thomas' bedroom.
First off was the painting. It was a really light blue color originally and Thomas chose a gray paint.
It was easy to move the bed in because Thomas asked for a hammock instead of a bed. We said okay and Jared rigged it up.
I added some pictures of Jesus and the Temple, because come on people. He is almost 13. He is a good kid, but I figure it couldn't hurt to plaster as many pics of Jesus as I can. That way if he is tempted to make a wrong choice.....he has Jesus there looking at him.
Next was his desk area. I had a red valance up when it was my craft room but my mom said valances are girly. So she came up with this great idea of hanging his wrestling medals on the curtain rod instead. I must say it turned out great. Plus, Thomas changed his mind about letting me use red as an accent color (because you know....I already had a red valance) and asked for blue instead. I was amazed at all the blue things we had in our house already. And what we didn't have - Ikea did.
I think I want to paint his desk white. But until I decide, I did find some cute new drawer hardware at Hobby Lobby.
In my opinion, the drawer handles should go the other way, but again - this is Thomas' room and he called the shots. So.....you know......let the creative juices flow.
Then we moved a bookcase in and he arranged it how he liked it.
And the thing I just added today.....
His new clock.
I took an old clock we had down in the TV room and painted it blue. Then I found some gray chevron scrapbook paper and copper bottle caps and glued them on. I think it turned out great. The numbers are just stickers that I put on the bottle caps.
It is still a work in progress, but we are getting there. The next thing we need to do is find a bed because he is already tired of the hammock. He lasted a little over a month which is about what we said would happen.
I am kinda freaked out by how quickly my boys are growing up. They have their own rooms now. They do their own laundry. They fix their own breakfast and lunch.
What do they need me for?
Oh yeah. To snuggle.
I love these boys and I'm proud of how much responsibility they take on and how much they contribute to our home. I think they will be great husbands someday.
But until that day - I plan to get in all the snuggling I can.





No comments:
Post a Comment