Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Raingutter Regata

Okay - I am going to be a little prideful right now.

So - little known fact about me.....I really, really, REALLY dislike Pinewoood Derby. I just don't get how adults can lose it and fight over a child's car race.

As Peter Parker's (Spiderman....duh!) Uncle Ben once said, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Many years ago, I was entrusted with a great power.

I was called to be the Cub Master of our ward's cub scout den.

I'm sure you are curious whether I used my power for good or evil.

Well, I guess that all depends on how you feel about Pinewood Derby.

I made the decision to only do the Pinewood Derby once every three years. I know not everyone realizes, (or cares), about this but cub scouts actually have two other derby's they can participate in; The Space Shuttle Derby and the Raingutter Regatta.

The thing is, those other races are super fun. Plus because no one is an expert shuttle maker or boat maker, the playing field is so much more level and the fun level goes way up because the pride level of the fathers goes way down.

Thankfully, all of the Cub Master's since me have chosen to keep up this rotation.

This year we held our Raingutter Regatta.

Nathan had a blast. He came in 4th.  But, one thing that I love, is how these other races promote camaraderie within the den instead of that relentless competition that always leaves at least half of the boys crying.

Now don't get me wrong. I love good old competition, and I am actually a pretty competitive person. But I think there is a time and place for it. Cub Scouts....in my opinion, isn't one of those places.

This is also our last race. Nathan turns 11 in a couple of months and will be moving on to boy scouts.

Now that we are out of there they can do whatever they want.

And they won't hear a peep out of me.

Nate and his best good friend Braden.


This is his excited face....Hahaha. 








1 comment:

Kel said...

I agree! Pinewood Derby is my least favorite thing about Cubs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...