We are still dealing with Bobbie's death and now two weeks later, Tom Porter has passed away.
Jared met Tom while he was on his mission in Indiana. This was back in 1995. Tom liked to help the missionaries and took care of them. Jared's first day of his mission was kind of a tough one. And then Tom entered his life and they quickly became friends. You'll have to ask Jared about how they met. It's a great story.
When Jared returned home in 1997, Tom came too and spoke at his homecoming. He's been a part of the Bigelow family ever since.
I know I've shared this before, but we decided to name Thomas after him because of what he meant to our family.
While he lived in Indiana, he came out to visit us several times a year. My boys thought they had three grandpas for quite a while. I have to laugh because my boys really don't notice or categorize people by their race. I attribute this to the fact that they grew up with a white grandpa, a mexican grandpa, & a black grandpa.
In 2005, Tom suffered a stroke and realized that he probably shouldn't be alone anymore, so he moved to Utah. Most of his friends live in the Southwest. It was nice because we would fly him out to visit us quite a few times a year. Then, once he couldn't travel anymore we would take some trips up to visit him in Provo.
In December of 2011 Tom called me and told me that he wanted to move to Arizona. He knew that he was dying and said he wanted to live out the rest of his life with us. We drove up to Utah in May of 2012 and brought him home. We had a great nine months with him.
As a family we visited him at least once a week, but usually we were at his apartment about 2 or 3 times a week. I was over there almost every day. We had such a great time. Having FHE and playing games and going out to dinner. I will always cherish those memories.
I don't think there are any words that would adequately express how I feel about this man. I love him. He truly is a part of our family.
I really wanted him to live here at least 20 years. But, I also know that he was ready to go.
Our last day with him was pretty special. He still recognized us and I am thankful for that. We also were able to say good-bye to him and I will never forget how you can be so grateful for tender mercies and how your heart can break at the same time.
Tom was buried in Eagar in the Bigelow Family plot. That was his wish. To be buried with his family. I was worried because it is February and the weather is crazy this time of year. But Saturday was a beautiful day. His graveside service was small and intimate with everyone sharing stories of Tom that had us all laughing.
I hope that I will remember his example and all the things he taught me in this life.
I have a million pictures because as I've said, he's been a part of our lives for 18 years. It was hard to choose which ones to put up, and so I know I picked way too many.
I also love how crazy he was. He enjoyed life and was happy and playful. He was friendly and youthful. I loved that he didn't take himself too seriously. He loved to make people laugh. He had a ton of crazy sayings that would crack us up.
You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar.
My name is KTP - Karate Tom Porter
Terrible Tom Porter
"After the preposition"
Ya Big Fathead!
Buck Up Little Beaver
I am such a handsome Negro man!
Those are just a few of the many Tom-isms that made us laugh.
Tom on his baptism date in April of 1958
I am glad for the time that I was able to spend with Tom. I am grateful for the things he taught me. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to serve him and take care of him at the end of his life. There are no words that can tell how special that experience was for me.
I will miss him more than I can ever say.
But, I am the most grateful for my beliefs. That I know that I will see him again.
Until then my friend.


















No comments:
Post a Comment