It is that time of year again.
"The Holidays." (I love how people say this like it is a mega blockbuster movie coming soon to a theater near you.)
Now, I love the holiday season. My family celebrates Christmas and Thanksgiving. I love this time of year, because it is the one time we all make a real effort to get together and enjoy each other's company. You know, the rest of the year we allow all sorts of little things to prevent us from getting together, but not for these two Holidays. I also think that for the most part people in general try to be a little nicer and self-less.
However, this is my second year of working retail during the Holiday season. And I am amazed and how nasty people can be. Whoo, there is crabbiness, selfishness, impatience & bad tempers galore!
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a negative person and I know for every one nasty person there are about 10 nice people that I help. I usually try to see & believe the best in people (unless they give me reason to think otherwise) but maybe that is why I am always so shocked when these nasty people come out.
I never know how to respond to these nasties either. Sometimes I just finish the transaction and get them away from me. Sometimes I like to push their buttons so I'm SUGARY sweet to them. But, they always, always astound me. I guess I just find it hard to believe that ADULTS can act that way.
Well, I guess the moral of the story is to not let the nasties get me down. If nothing else, they provide me with entertainment when they fight with other people and stories for my blog.
Merry Christmas Everyone......let the madness begin!
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Part of me says make them stories on the blog. But then I also think that they shouldn't get any of the attention they want. It is a conundrum! I wish you nothing but kind and cheerful customers!
For reals, kill them with kindness. They won't know what to do with themselves. I loved being overly cheerful and then sneaking in a "I bet your family is really excited to get these gifts." or "you seem like you really love the holidays" makes them crazy.
This is exactly why Marc hates the commercialism of Christmas.
Oh man--I am so sorry!! I would definitely not want to be working retail during the holidays. Ironic how we're supposed to celebrate peace and goodwill, but people get crabbier than ever. Hang in there! I will make sure to smile to everyone as I make my purchases and check out! =)
Post a Comment