Thursday, June 25, 2015

A Scouter's Life For Me

As I have stated many times before, I do not particularly love scouting. I think it teaches my boys some great leadership skills, but I'm not super scouter mom. Thankfully we have been blessed with some amazing men in our ward who really help our boys love scouting and become Eagle Scouts fairly young.

This year was Nathan's last year of scout camp. My boys love scout camp. Are you kidding? A week of being with their friends and not showering or brushing their teeth? Plus they get to do all sorts of fun stuff like ride horses and shoot guns. What's not to love?

Scout camp started out with some bad news. Just a couple of days before, one of the boys' scout leaders passed away unexpectedly. My boys loved Brother Tolman. He was a great leader. He loved the boys and he was always with them and helping them actually learn scouting. He was thought of as quiet, and the straight man to the silliness of the other leaders. But he was pretty funny and the boys always had a good time with him.

So, our troop went off to camp with some heavy hearts. But, they took Brother Tolman's scout shirt with them and hung it up with their flag. They remembered him in all that they did. They even all spray painted their hair white so they could be like Brother Tolman. And then they went and had fun because they knew that was what he would want them to do.




I know it was tough for this little group. Bother Tolman had been a scout leader for many many years in our ward. He was loved by many of the boys and their parents.

But, I think the boys learned how to have faith in each other and in Heavenly Father's plan.

And that is the most important thing right?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...