I'm sure most everyone is tired of hearing about the Gilbert Temple Cultural Celebration. But, I want to record my feelings about it so I don't forget. So you all just have to suffer through one more post about it.
So, I was asked back in December to be on a committee to help with the Cultural Celebration. It took a lot of time. And it was a little frustrating because things changed daily. At least it felt that way.
But, I also knew that it would be an amazing experience for the kids.
The Cultural Celebration was an opportunity for the youth of our church to celebrate the new temple that has been built in Gilbert. They performed dances and songs that reflect the culture of Arizona. There were a little over 12,000 youth who participated and about 3,000 adult leaders who were involved.
We started practicing our songs and dance in January. Every week the kids would come to mutual and sing and dance and work hard to be ready. We practiced as a ward for a few weeks and then as a stake for a few more weeks.
One night we worked on our personal Titles of Liberty. This was a flag that the kids made that they carried out onto the field. They were to write on it a scripture that they loved, or what they were willing to fight for.
Then we had what we called Super Saturday - which was the first time all 12,000 youth would be together. It was hot. And a LONG day. They ended up quiting earlier than expected because it was so dusty and the kids were getting sick. Everyone came home sunburned, and tired, and unable to breathe, but happy because the big day was almost here.
So you know, Arizona is a desert and we don't get a whole lot of moisture. Well, we've had 70 days with no rain. But guess what the forecast was for Game Day. Yup - 80% chance of rain.
Oh well. We're gonna do what we have to do right?
I'm going to insert my own little hardships right here.
Saturday morning Thomas had his school wrestling championship tournament. My dad called me in the middle of the tournament to tell me that my mom was sick and was in the hospital. He was pretty upset and I knew there was no way I could let him be alone. So I decided to go to Yuma to be with him. But my heart was torn. Because I wanted to be on that field with my kids. We had worked on this for months and months!
But - I made my decision and I knew I was in the right place. So I had to watch the celebration online. And my heart hurt a little and so I cried a lot.
But I was so proud of these kids.
Back to Game Day.
The kids got to the field around 12:30pm. The day had been overcast and tiny sprinkles but that was it. They practiced their routine from start to finish. They performed at 3:00pm for a small group of leaders.
They had dinner and got ready for the 7:00pm performance that was to be for the prophet, Thomas S. Monson.
That would be equivalent to performing for the Pope.
And 30 mintues before they started their performance it began to rain. And rain. AND POUR.
They were drenched in minutes.
But did you notice what I noticed?
Smiles.
On every single face.
So most of the times, scriptures are metaphorical. They fit whatever issue you are struggling with and that is why they are so uplifting and enlightening.
But on this night - this scripture came to mind. Because it was literal for our kids that night.
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundations; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." - Helaman 5:12
So his mighty storm came. And these kids stood there in the face of it and showed that they would not be moved. That they would not give up even though it was hard.
And that is why I cried.
And here is my favorite picture of all...
Their prophet cheering them on.
I am so glad that I was able to be a part of this along with Jared and Thomas. I don't think I will ever forget this experience.
I love our youth.
They are amazing and they help me to be a better person.
No comments:
Post a Comment