Monday, August 8, 2011

Solid

I grew up in a Catholic family that was very dedicated. We attended Mass every Sunday and all of our classes during the week. My father led our family well. He & my mom worked together and we all joked that my mom was in charge. But, everyone knew that my father was the head of our home. I consider myself very lucky to have had such a great example of a father and husband.

My husband is a good man. He also leads our family with love and does his best to do the right thing. I love and respect him so much. I am pretty bossy and I try to take over a lot. But I know that he definately is the leader of our family.

Just as a side note, I know not every woman wants to be in this situation. However, I am not a feminist. I am a strong woman, but I believe that I work best with my husband. This doesn't mean I am weak or subserviant, because my husband will be the first to tell you that I am not. But, I do believe that he is meant to lead our family.

But. That isn't what my post is about.

As I mentioned before, I grew up in a Catholic home. I know that my father was the head of our family and I know that he led it the best he could, as do most men.

But now, I belong to the LDS church.

Every once in a while, I struggle with what I still consider my new faith. I think there are some things that if you were born in the church and were taught these things all your life, they make sense. But, learning these things as an adult, I find myself having lots of questions about different doctrine.

One such item is the priesthood. I've obviously had many lessons on the priesthood, it is a topic that is taught repeatedly. I believed in the priesthood no problem. But I don't think I always understand it. Plus, I've always heard stories about people having amazing experiences with blessings, but I never had one. Don't get me wrong, I have felt the power of the priesthood in different situations in my life, but never one of those life-changing experiences.

This weekend we had one of those experiences. It was crazy and scary. But, my husband was able to use his priesthood and I saw the effects of this power. This was an experience that I will never forget. I will never again say that I believe the priesthood is the power of God. I KNOW this power is real and no one will ever be able to make me feel stupid, or crazy because I believe in something that they either don't want to believe in or they just can't believe in it.

I will always have questions. I know that. Life is all about learning. But, this is one thing that is checked off my list.

I'm totally solid.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony Linda.

Elena Vaughn said...

You are a good writer my sister. My favorite part during reading your post was when you said "I will always have questions. I know that. Life is all about learning." I truly agree with you on that me dear. Well said darlin!

Annell said...

I'm totally solid too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...