This past school year Thomas struggled with focusing in his classroom. He has actually struggled with this for a few years. When we talked with him about "staying present" during classtime, it seemed as if he ALWAYS had an excuse for why he didn't pay attention. This year was no different. His teacher called me one day saying that when she talked to him about daydreaming he told her that he couldn't see the board and so he was frustrated and would just lose focus. She moved him all over the classroom but nothing seemed to help.
ALL YEAR LONG Jared and I had "pep" talks with Thomas. We talked and talked the issue to death. He told us that he couldn't see that well and of course we got on his case. We told him we were tired of his excuses and that if he didn't try harder we were going to be tough with him. The poor kid didn't get to play the Wii the whole 2nd semester because he was grounded for making excuses and not accepting responsibility for his actions and especially for not focusing during classtime.
(You know where I'm going with this don't you....Can you see it coming?)
Well, we went to the eye doctor on Tuesday for our annual check-up. You guessed it. Thomas is near-sighted and needs glasses. I felt like such a horrible mother! I ignored one of my children's legitimate needs! He's awesome though. He has never once said "I told you so", which he would be well within his rights to do so. Here's where the major guilt came in though....
We picked up his new glasses today. He was real quiet for a few minutes and then he said, "Mom! I can see the leaves on the trees. I can read that street sign way down there. I can see Mom!" I was getting a little choked up because I KNOW what that feels like. I have HORRIBLE eye sight. It was so bad that even glasses and contacts didn't help. When I had lasik surgery, it was the best thing ever! I could finally see! So I really knew how Thomas was feeling.
Here's where I lost it though....
He said "Mom. I almost want to cry because I can finally see."
I bawled the whole way home.
Well, I've learned an important lesson here and I really really hope and pray that my kids won't need major therapy because of me.
Thomas' New Look
6 comments:
You are not a horrible mother! Thomas looks great wtih his glasses, he looks so much more grown up.
I agree with Ginger...you are the least horrible mom there is!
We did the same thing to keenan. He went all through kinder blind as a bat. I felt so bad when they finally tested him and got him glasses. Now he's in contacts! They grow so fast. You always wonder why you didn't catch them squinting or something!!
Linda, your only flaw is that you are not perfect ;) What you did was listen to the impression to go get his eyes checked. Heavenly Father doesn't expect us to know the answer, he only expects us to search for it and he will make up the difference. Sorry, but it choked me up and was impressed that you knew what to do. You are such a good lady and mother.
At least you waited until you were in the car to fall apart! I lost it in Costco, and every other place Chris had been a thousand times, but with glasses it was the first time! Just think how amazing this next school year will be for him!
...that made me all teary eyed...what a great reminder!
Post a Comment