This was Thomas' first year of high school wrestling. It was quite the adjustment for me. I thought club wrestling was crazy. Club wrestling is practice 4 times a week and tournaments every weekend. But high school wrestling is WAY more demanding. High School wrestling is a class during the day in which they practice and then two more hours of practice after school. THEN there are about 2 dual meets a week, (all across the state), and then a tournament on the weekend. Sometimes out of state! Whew! I was exhausted just following him around and watching the matches. We also learned about the differences between club and AIA wrestling. AIA is waaaaayyy more strict.
Thomas worked hard and made varsity this year. It was quite the adjusment for him. He was the only freshman and the whole dynamic of the team was interesting to say the least. It was hard and there were times where we all almost gave up. I felt so bad for him. He had such high hopes for his high school team. But, this year was a little disappointing.
He wrestled well and ended up with a 31-17 record. But I think he learned so much more socially than in the wrestling world. He learned how to stand up for himself. He learned how to be a friend to those who didn't have one on the team. He learned to not give up. He learned to do hard things. I hope he never forgets those lessons. I know next year will be different because most of the boys who brought bad attitudes and issues to the team were seniors. So we have high hopes for next year.
Thomas made it to state. He didn't place, but he has the experience now to know what to expect next year. He was a little burned out at the end of the season. But once he started eating again and had a couple of weeks break, he felt better.
He was named Freshman of the Year and earned his Varisty letter. That was an awesome honor.
I am looking forward to next year!




No comments:
Post a Comment